Wednesday, 8 March 2017

The challenges of writing every day - March 8

Today is the 10th day of the exercise and I want to share my thoughts on my writing experience so far.
  • I primarily write twice a day: once in the morning before breakfast, and the second time after I get home from work. My writing is fascinatingly incoherent in the morning and I always end up extensively editing my work at night.
  • My most challenging day so far was last Friday, when after imbibing considerable whiskey, I made my way home at 1:00AM in a drunken haze. I closed my eyes and tried to continue where I had left off 15 hours prior, but instantly dozed off and started to sleep-write. I segued directly from my opinion on North Korea to writing about my work and personal relationships. About half an hour later, I woke up and realized this piece of work, though grammatically correct, couldn’t do. I replaced the passage soon after and forgot what I wrote, but it would have been fascinating to see my dream thoughts on paper.
  • My motivation has varied these 10 days. I received a huge boost the first few days, driven by the euphoria of following through with a personal goal. Yesterday and today, it felt more like a chore than before, though once I get into a rhythm, it becomes much easier to finish.
  • I would prefer to write more about my personal thoughts and goals, and to share my opinions on current events, rather than to simply chronicle my daily life. This approach would stimulate me to think more about the future and force me to justify my views of the world, rather than to regurgitate events. It would encourage me to think more deeply and help me connect my current thoughts and actions with my future goals.

Two methods to improve my writing would be to:

1. Start writing as soon as possible after getting home and having dinner. This way I would have sufficient time to…

2. Research and produce a quality piece. Writing without Googling anything whatsoever is like purposely locking myself in a cage and throwing away the key. Time to make the most of the resources available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment