I first came across Tony Robbins
last year in a podcast episode that has since become one of my all-time
favourites. I was at initially intrigued by his zeal and energy, and was amazed
how his exuberance could be palpable even through an audio recording. I then
realized this man was driven by strong personal beliefs, and managed his thoughts
and habits in such a way that he led a successful life consistent with his
values. I found myself agreeing to everything he expounded, and it led me to
ask how I could achieve this quality of life myself.
Last November, I picked up his
bestseller Awaken the Giant Within,
and I am convinced that it is the Bible of self-help books. The book is a
treasure trove of applicable life advice that has dramatically changed the way I
perceive and think about my everyday experiences. I have spent so much time rereading
sections and taking notes that after 4 months of consistent reading, I am still
barely halfway through.
Robbins’ main argument is that we
can all achieve tremendous things if we are willing to work to change our
beliefs and our habits, and to take responsibility for improving the quality of
our lives. The most challenging part of this change is to recalibrate our
mental state so that we have absolute confidence in our decisions and actions
to achieve our goals. This means we must cull our negative thoughts and disempowering
beliefs.
I have decided to undertake the book’s
10-day mental challenge to avoid unnecessary dwelling on unproductive thoughts
for more than one minute. If I fail at any point during the challenge, the
10-day countdown will restart. Robbins suggests a wide range of mental tools to
use to complete this challenge and I believe the most powerful tip is to ask myself
the right questions when the challenging times inevitably come. By asking “What
about this situation is not perfect yet” and “How can I fix this problem”, I
will focus on solutions rather than transfixing myself on the issue itself. I
have been stellar in applying this advice today and I look forward to reinforcing
this mental habit in the 9 days to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment