I am writing about waiting, and waiting for my writing to
finish so I can continue with my Saturday morning. I feel the lethargic
after-effects of beer and wine still lingering. I gaze lazily at the soft white
buzz of my laptop screen. I hear the hypnotic hammering of construction workers
outside. I am utterly lackadaisical yet in a state of pure contentment.
To be quite honest, I don’t see how we can ever be truly
waiting. Waiting implies that nothing important is happening at the moment, and
how can that be possible when there is so much going on all around us? We are
overloaded with sensory stimulus in every waking moment, from the soreness of a
recent workout, to the pressure of pressing our feet to the ground, to sounds
of wind or electric humming in the air. We can even derive pleasure from the
lack of sense – how our tooth doesn’t ache at all or we don’t have a headache
at this moment. Even within our mind, we are constantly thinking, and
appreciating, and imagining a universe of new ideas and solutions.
While we will always have things that we look forward to, we have no excuse ever to just be ‘waiting’ for the current moment to pass. Is me writing right now writing really waiting, when I am constantly engaging my creative faculties? Am I actually waiting when I am purposely relaxing my body to recover from last night’s drinks and to prepare for an explosive workout session later today? The opportunity to have a calm period to write about waiting is a gift. I am grateful that by articulating these thoughts, I have subtly influenced myself appreciate the small details of today, and to instill a habit for when I write in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment